About Me

My photo
As a cancer survivor, I try to take life one day at a time. I sell my creations on the web on the following sites www.linrae.etsy.com, www.linraevintage.etsy.com, www.linraesupply.etsy.com, bonanza.com/booths/linraeonline. I also list items on eBay.com/claire402. Thank you for stopping by to read my blog and I hope you will stop in again. All comments are welcome.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Cades Cove and Great Smoky Mtns National Park

I was at the Cleveland Public Library the other day to read some magazines (to get out of the house for awhile that afternoon). Since it was in the upper 90s with very high humidity it sounded like a good idea. The newly remodeled library has a nice reading area on the second floor with big comfortable chairs and short sofas to sit on while you read. After sitting there for over an hour I decided to see if I could find a good book to check out before I headed home. As I strolled through the rows of books I found a display of paperback books that the FOLA (Friends of the library Assoc.) group had read as the book of the month. I decided to take it home. It is titled "Autumn Winifred Oliver Does Things Different" by a local TN author by the name of Kristin O'Donnell Tubb. I didn't notice until I got home and started to read that it is actually a children's book. It is full of humor and is based on historical facts. The heading for Chapter one reads "I do things different. It helps to remind yourself of that when you're attending your own funeral". Or Chapter 7 "I do things different. It helps to remind yourself of that when you're filching explosives from the United States government." I truly enjoyed the book. If you get a chance to read it, it is worth your time. Since it is by a local author I don't know how available it is outside of this area. It is a Yearling book which publishes books for kids. Autumn is a fictional character that is based on people that were real residents of the Cades Cove town and area. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park is the only national park formed from privately owned land. It was a very interesting book that melds together fact and fiction. A person would think that Cades Cove became a part of the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park but after reading this very interesting book. It is more like The Great Smoky Mtn. National Park became a part of Cades Cove. Therefore, preserving the character of the mountain families in Cades Cove and throughout the Smoky Mountains that had lived there for generations. It is now the most-visited national park in the U.S. And the section of the park that is visited the most is Cades Cove.

No comments:

Post a Comment